Wednesday, November 27, 2013

G is for Grandma

Charlie's homework the other day was to draw a picture of something that starts with the letter G.  His immediate response was to draw Grandma (on the right).  He added Grandpa afterward.  I thought it was sweet of him to think of that for a G word, but I also wanted to mention that he has really tried hard to improve his coloring and drawing.  I mentioned recently that he had won a coloring contest, and that it has never been his first choice in activity.  In the last few weeks though, he has stepped up the coloring and drawing.  The goal they set in school is to color the picture in the lines, and with none of the white paper showing through the part you colored.  It has been fun for me to see him really learn how to do something and improve upon it in such a short time, since more academic subjects go much slower.  It's a little funny to be proud of a kindergartener learning to color inside the lines, but it's more than that.  He set a goal with his teacher to do better, and he really is!!  So, while I've seen younger kids draw on the same level or even perhaps better than this, this cute little picture of Grandma and Grandpa means a lot to this mama!

2 comments:

Tristen said...

I love the picture! And I know exactly what you mean about the being proud of them working to do better at something. I love how much they grow in Kindergarten, they are such amazing little human beings. :)

Melanie said...

That is adorable and it looks remarkably like your mom! Glad to hear he is progressing so well. I once had a distraught Primary teacher bring my 5 yo son to me in RS with the sad news that he couldn't stay in class because he refused to color his picture. She was so serious and I was trying hard not to laugh. He later told me he had to color too much at school and just didnt want to color any more.