Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Preschool Graduate

My little guy finished up preschool last week.  He had a very sweet little class with several friends from church, and lots of sweet new friends (only one of whom is going to the same elementary school with him, but it was still fun to be friends for this last year). 
 This was his teacher's first year teaching preschool, and she said she was especially attached to this first class.  I was maintaining a reasonable amount of distain for the concept of a preschool "graduation" until she said "since they are my first class, they all promised to invite me to their college graudations."  Unreasonably, and possibly due to pregnancy hormones, that made me tear up a little.  I can't believe my little guy will be in elementary school this year!
 Ms. Monica (assistant teacher) and Ms. Leema were wonderful.
Felicity also loved Charlie's teachers, and would give them hugs each morning when we dropped off and picked up.  She wanted a picture as well.  While she will be attending the 3 year old class at Charlie's school next year, she will not be happy to find out that they won't be her teachers (they teach the pre-K class.)

I don't know what you are supposed to know for kindergarten, but Charlie can write all his uppercase letters, some lowercase, count to and write the numbers 1-40, a tiny bit of simple arithmetic, and some sounding out, but not full-on reading yet.  Most useful in our lives is the fact that he knows the days of the week and the months of the year, because he asks me every day when ___ is happening,  and then I can tell him the day (or the month) and make him figure out how long it is.

It is probably ridiculous and sentimental and unreasonable to be so proud of your five year old, but I just am.  Love that guy.

No comments: