Tuesday, January 1, 2013

December Insta

As previously discussed, instagram is just too easy when faced with the choice of using it or hauling around a regular camera.  But, I've been neglecting my blogosphere (I actually had 188 unread posts on my reader when I checked the other day... I have been neglecting it in more ways that just failing to post things) but with instagram and facebook and what not, I don't think very many people are reading boring mommy blogs anymore (just the interesting ones where people have original thoughts, etc.)  So I have lost some of my motivation, but as with Christmas cards, I enjoy reading other peoples' still, so I have to do my part to continue the concept.  So, here are some photos from instagram this December.

Last Christmas we got Charlie one of those bikes that has no pedals.  If you aren't on the mommy circuit, and/or don't care about things like how to teach your child to ride a bike: the current "thing" (or it was current last year) was giving your child these tiny bikes where they could learn to balance without having to learn simultaneously how to pedal ones self (regular bikes with training wheels teaching the child how to pedal but no sense of balance).  Anyway, they are a little expensive, but we had seen them and been interested when they showed up for a good price at Costco before Christmas, so we got him one for under the tree.  He has basically completely ignored it for eleven months.  I had officially decided that Santa would give up on being up to date on the latest and greatest items in the child world, and would just bring him a regular bike with training wheels this year, but all of the sudden in December, he noticed it again, and has decided he loves it!  So, Santa held off on the regular bike, and we are hoping he will be proficient enough to need a regular bike for his birthday this year.

 First day of finals.  This is our feeling about missing Greg.
 I made this!!  I am totally uncrafty, and fine with it, but I had been thinking about something like this for years (I actually didn't get it off pinterest, I had heard of it before then, but I am sure there are some on pinterest) and this year I finally did.  I cut the tree (it's about Charlie's height, which is around 42 inches) out of a large piece of felt, which I bought at Michael's, and the ornaments out of felt scraps I already had.  With the exception of the reindeer (Greg drew it freehand; he is talented like that) I did these all myself.  The large round ornaments were made with a cup as a template, and the small ones are with a tea light candle.  The "trunk" of the tree is a pouch that holds all the ornaments and lights.  It took me a really long time to make, and my kids played with it some, but I was really proud of my hard work.

 We passed some mistletoe while looking at Christmas lights. (This was after finals were over so we had a man in our lives again.)
 Ninja bread men!


No comments: