Thursday, July 5, 2012

Del Mar Fair

I took a week off of work in June a couple months ago because we were thinking that maybe the kids and I would go visit Greg in Mississippi.  Luckily enough for us, he came home to us instead, so I didn't have to head out there for my vacation.... but then HE got a job (YAY!), so I had some time off by myself.  Luckily enough, Aunt Stacy volunteered to join us at the Del Mar Fair.

Okay, number one fair food?  Tater Twisters.  The stand is over near the ramp that takes you to the kid's area in the middle of the track.  Order the kind with lemon pepper.  I know, the fair is closed.  But trust me.  Keep this information until next year.  I dream of these things for 364 days until I get back to the fair to enjoy them.  It's important.
Aunt Stacy doubles as a pack animal.
We lucked out and went to the fair on the day they had monster trucks.  It was so loud and disturbing, but also awesome.  They didn't have the trucks crushing anything, they had them doing jumps off this hill.  The truck below cleared 12 ft 7 inches with plenty of room to spare... it was pretty amazing.
In this picture I was trying to get both Charlie and the monster truck, but you can only see a little bit of the truck behind him.
But then the guy's wheel fell off.  For real.  Front wheel on the right side.  They had to get a crane to get it out of there.  I wonder how much higher the guy could have jumped if the wheels stayed intact.  There were several times the guy was on just the back wheels for a couple minutes.  Seriously, the noise and the danger was almost too much stress for me.
At the pig races, Charlie got picked to be the cheerleader for one of the pigs, and then after we got to take a picture with one of their little piggies.  It was the sweetest little creature ever!  It's name was Oreo, and they took a picture and gave us the Polaroid, which is now on the fridge.  Charlie keeps asking to get oreo and I keep saying that we don't have any, and he is talking about looking at the picture of him and the pig.  Haha.



The girl working this car ride was so nice and let Felicity ride by herself.  I was terribly annoyed that I was going to have to pay 3 tickets to join her, but she let the 1/2 cm pass and just let her on alone.  I think it helped that my two kids were the only two even coming near her ride (it was sort of off in the corner).
 Then my kids rode a little canoe in the dirtiest water of all time.  The canoe was not self propelled and the water pressure in the track was pretty poor, so it was a pretty relaxing float.  A couple of times I had to push the boat along.


Oh, and on Greg's job: he got hired as a filing clerk at a firm in Hillcrest that does mainly worker's comp and immigration, and then miscellaneous other things, mostly for their worker's comp and immigration clients.  The filing clerk position is basically the lowest level they have, but it is an excellent job for a couple reasons: 1) any job is great, 2) they have him working basically as a paralegal and they insinuated that if he does well in that position, they would officially promote him, and 3) it is full time right now, and then gets flexible according to his school schedule when school starts again.




PS, Greg will be taking the bar a year from now.  We are one year from freedom from law school!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Congrats on the job Greg!

Melanie said...

Good news all around!!

jessica said...

Those tater twisters look pretty exciting...next year...next year :)