Monday, March 26, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

I guess it is time to start coming to terms with some of the changes that are coming up here in the next couple of months, and what better way than to write it out in blog form?

So, my husband is going to Mississippi for the summer. He is going to be a summer sales person.

I know.

Details: Greg's BFF at school is one of the top sales people for one of these security systems companies for the last several years. He has talked up the life of working like a dog for four months or so, and then living off of it for the rest of the year. It is NOT my style. I am just not good enough with money... or something. I don't know. But I have always been very sure of the fact that I would never be the wife of a summer sales person. I am sure it is my own problem, so I don't mean any disrespect to my friends who are the wives of summer sales people. I just have always been the 9-5, 50 weeks a year kinda girl. However, the idea of a high paying summer job looks good to students. Really good. So, Greg started talking to Aaron about it. And, the two of them determined that they could do really well, and are headed out around May 1st.

Other than swearing I would never be married to a summer sales guy, I also have said (a lot) that I would never live apart from my husband for any (optional) reason. Guess who isn't going to Mississippi? Oh, how I love to eat my words.

I am not going to Mississippi for several reasons:
1) I have a job.
2) We would have to pay rent out there and back here, because they don't pay for the families to live, but they DO pay for just a single guy (he will have roommates, I think).
3) He will be working constantly, and won't be super available anyway.
4) We have a dog, and I am not sure that could work out.
5) I don't think I dig a southern summer with two active children. Mosquitoes and humidity make me cry.
6) Family and friends and routines are all out here.

There are more reasons, but those are some basics.

In summation, Greg: doing summer sales in Mississippi; Rachel and children: living the single mom life in California.

I am super nervous about this. I don't want to miss my husband all summer, but having a little cash to get us through the last year of school would be legit.

And I know it is sort of obnoxious, but among other things, I am scared that people are going to judge me. Please still be my friend.

6 comments:

*Janae* said...

I am still your friend, silly, even though I am not married :)

SpencernAmy said...

Boo! no fun! Come hang out with the YW. We'll take care of ya'll. Did I just really say "ya'll?"

Kristin said...

yay! you can be a single mom with me!

Kirsten said...

You aren't defriended yet :) You gotta do what is best for your family, no shame in that. Remember how Adam and I lived apart for over 4 months? Its not fun but its totally doable. The time went by fast for us so hoping for the same for you!

Amber said...

Summer is busy and fun and it will fly by! I think it's great! What a great opportunity to set yourselves up for next year. That being said, who cares what anyone else thinks! Good or bad. It's about you and yours!

Kiersten said...

Hmm. I don't know why people would judge you, actually, but I am from Utah, the capital of summer sales, so, you know. And I have to say that anyone who would be willing to walk around Mississippi in the middle of the summer must really love his family! I've never actually been to Mississippi, during the summer or any other time, but it doesn't sound like a fun thing.