Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Feeling like a bad mom?

Today I went to the grocery store with a rather extensive list.

The kids were being normal, considering. Definitely some whining, but we were getting through. We only smashed one container of food on the ground (marinated mozzarella balls. They were really nice about it, and they didn't even make me pay for it.) Toward the end, Charlie started up the potty dance. I told him we would go as soon as we checked out.

Halfway through the checkout, he was gone. I knew he went to the bathroom, and I KNEW he was in the "triangle" bathroom, because "the circle one is for GIRLS!"

They suspended my checkout. I stood outside the men's room for ten minutes, yelling in instructions. It took him five minutes to figure out how to turn on the water. I kept asking the men who were going in and out to please help my son. No one did.

I finally went in, dragged him out, put him in the ladies, and washed his hands (with my other baby and half our groceries in the cart, unattended.) Then I listened to his screams while I finished checking out about how he wanted the kid's paper towel (don't ask me what that means.)

Finally got out to the car. Buckling the other baby in her car seat when I hear various screams. Look up. My eldest is in the cart, pouting, rolling down the parking lot (toward a hill which goes down to the main street.)




You are not a bad mom. Whatever you did.

(PS, some man hopped out of a car and saved him right as I got to him. I can be kinda fast when one of my kids is about to die. The man had two kids with him and a mini van, which indicates there might be more than two, I would have thought he would have been nicer to me. I thought the whole parking lot was going to string me up. I fully expect someone wrote down my license plate number though, so I am sure I will be getting a call any day.)

(PS2, I am laughing too.)

11 comments:

Tristen said...

Are you trying to tell me that this is not like every trip to the grocery store? This is not normal? Oh snap.

81Trucolors said...

OMG Awesome! All's well that ends well mama.

The Marinos said...

Don't be too hard on yourself Rachel. Things like this happen to the best of us. I'm so glad to hear that Charlie is okay. I have had the rolling away cart happen once and it was enough for me to now be super paranoid while getting the kids into the van. The whole potty thing is familiar territory. Bridget is now potty trained and so I have two toddlers begging for the potty as I shop! I can't believ noone helped Charlie out in the bathroom! How rude. I hope tomorrow is better :)

The Bradley's said...

You are a great mom! Don't ever doubt that no matter how many freakish, near tragic things that are not your fault happen

Kirsten said...

I loved this story. And now, when something like this happens to me, you can just laugh and say, "yep, I know how that goes"!

P.S. It does make my story from this week of dropping an entire 18-pack of eggs in the grocery store parking lot and then accidentally whacking Mady in the face trying to strap her in her car seat seem not so bad :)

Melanie said...

Rachel,
You may want to have your groceries delivered from now on. :) I have had some bad shopping trips, but that was too much for one day! I am impressed with your momskills. You managed to get the groceries and the kids home in one piece, laugh about the craziness, and even blog about it!

Nicole said...

oh, buddy!!!! Now that's a funny story..... I especially love that you were standing outside the bathroom, yelling in. And no one would help you??? Seriously, what's up with that???

Ryan and Michelle said...

i agree, no one helping?! my mom was in the grocery store with all three of us. kyle liked to throw tantrums, hold his breath and pass out. he decided to do this, flipped out of the grocery cart, landed on a donut table, donuts went flying, and kyle landed on the floor. Blue lips, passed out. Ian and I were screaming (not b/c of Kyle, I'm sure b/c we wanted to eat the donuts or something). my mom was mortified and people were yelling at her. she came home upset swearing she would never take the kids out again grocery shopping... and guess where she found her self the next week, right back at it. that is just what we do as mom's. it really only takes a mom to do what we do b/c no one understands. if it was greg yelling into the woman's bathroom, i am sure there would have been plenty of moms in their helping him to wash his hands and face for that matter :)... but then men, poor guys, they just aren't moms :) keep up the good work- you are such a great mom... and the grocery cart incident, that is funny and scary all at the same time. just smile and give thanks that nothing happen.

ferntyler said...

Hilarious (I mean it's ok to laugh at it now right?). I'm liking the food delivery option for you :). Any mom that Candice it and then blog about it so her kids can laugh in 15 years is clearly solidly awesome!

SpencernAmy said...

You seriously crack me up! If DCFS does show up on your doorstep, use me as a reference. I will tell them how much I wish you were MY mom! : )

Lacey said...

Oh please, you're a great mom! I hate to say it, but sh** happens! I've seen stuff like that happen to every mom! I'm glad everything turned out alright. And don't be too hard on yourself, I honestly consider you one of the best and most responsible moms I know!