Tuesday, August 23, 2011

More stuff I've done to the house....

I haven't been working too much on new projects for my house, because I have sort of run out of steam, but here are a couple things I've done that I haven't shown the blog yet. I have at least one friend who requested photos of this, so if it is terribly boring, sorry. I am trying to give the people what they want.

Henrike took pictures of all of us, and then edited them into submission on Adobe Illustrator (I think), and they turned out great. I have to print out new ones because these ones aren't square so they are on top of the mats, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

This rug was once a plain white rug from Ikea. We saw a rug painting tutorial somewhere online, so we decided to try it out (since as it turns out, a stripy rug is somehow way more expensive than a plain rug). We started by painting by brush (we measured out the lines and put tape down so they would be straight) but then eventually I taped down all parts that were to stay white and then just took a paint roller to it, and that went way faster and used a lot less paint. We will fully be doing this again (a yellow one for Felicity's room is the plan I think), and when we do so, we will start with the roller.
Personally, I think it looks awesome. I am so happy with it. The rug does have some texture on the part that is painted, but it isn't weird or anything. And I leurve it.

The photo wall.

There are more things forthcoming, but that's it for now.

6 comments:

Tristen said...

I love it! I always run out of steam and then go a while without doing anything for the house and then get overambitious one week and do a bunch of projects at once. Kind of a fun endeavor, a first for us since moving into an actual house. :) I love the rug! I had three black striped rugs in my checkout from Crate and Barrel the other day but decided to not get them. Maybe maybe maybe...

Kiersten said...

I love the rug! I've been wanting to do this forever but have been too chicken to try it. You've inspired me!

Lauren said...

I REALLY like the rug. Before I even read that you did it, because I like to look at pictures first. And then I read that you did it, and I liked it even more. Where is this in your house? Why haven't I seen it.

Shari said...

Wow that is so cool!!!! I just might have to try that...any recommendations on paint - did you have to get a fabric type one or did you get the cheap option at Lowes or something else?

Amalthea said...

Can I just say (or maybe add to the dozens who have already said it)... I LOVE those silhouette photos! So fantastic! I may have to steal the idea one of these days....

And we're coming in September. I hope you are around!

Rachel said...

Regular ol' paint! I got the cheapest one, which happened to be the Martha Stuart brand. I think paint at walmart is cheaper than Home Depot though (which is where I went.)