Monday, June 6, 2011

Before I had a daughter, I always thought of myself as "above" the concept of being obsessed with little girl clothes. I just didn't really get why people mourned the idea of having a darling baby boy because "girl's clothes are just so cute!" (Note: I am not disparaging any people; if you are one of these people I am not mocking, just saying I didn't get it.)

Now that I have a girl of my own, I try and maintain that sense of reality. Because, reality proves that baby clothes are basically the worst investment of all time. Take a parent of a...healthy sized little girl (ahem, Felicity). That child might go through seven sizes of clothing before her first birthday. (Yes. Seven. Thank goodness for hand-me-downs.)

Anyway, I try not to be too sucked in by the concept.


Sometimes, I literally cannot help myself.Twenty four dollars for a baby's swimsuit? Yes, I believe I will.

(In my own defense, I did buy it the size up, and my kids really don't grow as drastically after their first birthdays, so there is a reasonable chance she will still be able to wear this next summer. But even if this photographed moment was the only time she ever wore it ((and the photograph of her in the hat might really be the only time she wears that - not much of a hat girl, that one)) I am pretty sure it was worth it.)

7 comments:

dannynstephstoddart said...

Awh... that suit (and the babe in it) is super cute! I WANTED a boy because baby girl clothes are so dang cute. I know its frivolous to spend a ton o money on the girls clothes... but seriously... they are adorable and im in trouble if this grape in my belly is a girl. Happy birthday Felicity ;)

Kirsten said...

$24 well spent! That suit is adorable! I never used to shop a lot or spend a lot on Mady's clothes, but now that we are likely having another girl I justify it to myself (and Adam) that its an "investment" :)

Amalthea said...

Dang! Ditto on all of that!

Lauren said...

this has topped serina's flower swimsuit that i adore. and that is hard to do. this is the best thing I have ever seen. Can i go swimming with her just to look at her in this please?

Henrike said...

Oh.My.Goodness.Definitely worth every penny!

Kiersten said...

Oh the ruffly bum! That may be the cutest thing I've ever seen. Caleb had better start praying that we have a girl next time around, or he might just find himself in this swimsuit next year :)

shannantess said...

i know what you mean... today at target i really was getting so excited about all the cute summer baby clothes for girls... but i had to resist. sadness.