Monday, February 21, 2011

Top five things my mother said growing up that I swore I wouldn't ever say but now say:

1) It's a surprise.
(This is when someone asks me what was for dinner. I don't want to discuss it. I am cooking, that is bad enough.)

2) Don't step in the black!
(I don't say these exact words, but my mother always did. It is an attempt to keep your children from stepping in the oil, or other undesirables on the street. I used to think "that is what shoes are for, why shouldn't I step where I want?" But now I know. Shoes go into the house, and, often, into the baby's mouth. Don't step on the yuck on the street.)

3) If you stick your arm out of the car/grocery cart/moving vehicle, it will get cut off.
(My mother STILL totally maintains that a girl she went to high school with had her arm cut off. I am still pretty dubious as to whether this is true. When this came out of my mouth though, I was so shocked I had to call my sister and tell her that it has officially happened and I am Mom, because it is so obnoxious that I don't want to say it, but I can't help it, it just came out.)

4) You can't always get what you want.
(This is sung, a la The Rolling Stones. My parents sang this CONSTANTLY throughout my childhood, and I do it a lot too. I know it is pretty often, because a couple days ago we were supposed to go somewhere and I couldn't find my keys. I was looking through everything and Charlie asked what I was doing and I told him that I couldn't find my keys. He sang "well mommy, 'You CAN'T always GET what you WAAAAAANT!")

5) I couldn't think of a fifth thing, but I am only 3 years into my child rearing years. There is plenty of time.

2 comments:

Kiersten said...

This post made me laugh. I like you guys.

Stacy said...

5. "we do not step on our sisters, repeat?!"