Wednesday, April 21, 2010

News

What's going on in the Ashcraft home, you ask? Well, let me tell you:

As some of you may have heard, Greg got a full ride scholarship to Cal Western Law School, here in downtown San Diego. While we have not officially said "yes" yet, it would be hard to beat that offer, so he is very likely to accept. In other words, we will be hanging around the area for at least a few more years! (And, yes, after law school we plan to stay around here. He will be taking the California Bar, so he will either try and get a job in a firm somewhere in the area, or he will go straight into taking over the Ashcraft Firm, depending on what is going on when he finishes school/passes the bar.)

I got the official job offer yesterday, so I will be returning to work in July (or thereabouts). I am so excited to be able to have the best of both worlds: I really want to stay at home with my kids, but I am also so looking forward to continuing my job. I feel like for the first few months, it will be something of a trial basis, to make sure that I am still able to focus on my children as priority one and that my company is still satisfied with my performance, but they seem very on board and supportive of my decision to want to stay home, so I think all will be well, as long as I feel comfortable with the balancing act. However, even if it doesn't work out, I am very lucky to even have the opportunity, as I know many mothers who would love a situation like I have. I know I am in a minority, and I definitely feel grateful! (I am trying to write this paragraph without using the phrase "seriously, so blessed!" but I don't think there is a better way to put it. Seriously, we have been so blessed.)

The doctor says things are going right along with the measurements, etc. on baby girl. She is in the "head down" position, although she hasn't "engaged" yet (I think this means dropping down into the pelvic area... Charlie never did before I went into labor, so I am not worried). The doctor said anytime, but I am pretty sure she isn't coming until May. Maybe slightly earlier than the due date (May 14th) but I don't think much sooner. And, I don't REALLY want her to come too much earlier (okay, I SO want to be done being pregnant, but I am telling myself it is best if she doesn't come too early) because I want the full two weeks I have taken off before the due date to spend with Charlie. Which brings me to item four:

Seven more work days (including today) before I get to stay at home!!
(By the way, there happens to be an article on "take your child to work day" which talks a lot about being a stay at home mom, or working from home, or other alternative work situations which I thought was pretty interesting today on the NY Times parenting blog right here, if you are interested. It also talks about how the original concept was just for daughters to go to work to teach them that women can grow up to be successful too. Boys weren't officially added until 2003.)

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Such exciting news! Congrats on everything and good luck with the last weeks of pregnancy.

Kirsten said...

I'm glad that worked out with your job! Like I said before, totally jealous!

Laura said...

So gald we get to watch your little ones grow up! Now just don't up and move out of the ward, ok? Congrats on all the great news~

Kim & Clay said...

Hey Rachel! Thanks for your comment on my complaining post. I am definitely going to look into the Mirena. Did you have any side effects?

Stacy said...

i am ready for labor.