Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Four Years Ago Today...

...I married my sweet husband. Happy anniversary to us!

We have sort of a fun "story," which some of you have heard, and some haven't, but I am going to share it here either way!

We met in 1999 or 2000 or sometime around there. I knew him through friends, and neither of us was terribly impressed with the other. (I actually didn't have much of an opinion on him, but he didn't like me, and it showed, so we avoided each other.) So, we didn't have too much interaction until later.

In July/August 2001 I was a junior and Greg was a senior in high school, and my 16th birthday was imminent (background, if you don't know: in my family, and in most families in my church, kids wait until they are 16 to date). We had our lunch period at the same time, and we sat together with several other mutual friends. He decided that he had been wrong about me, and that he in fact was interested in me. He flirted with me so much that even I could tell that he liked me, and I had never been terribly savvy about that kind of thing. So, when a mutual friend told me (we were in the bathroom at church, ditching Sunday School, to be exact) "I know someone who likes you" I knew it was him. However, a friend of his and I sort of liked each other, so I didn't expect much to come of it, as I supposed I would start seeing his friend when I turned 16.

Towards the end of August, Greg was walking me to class after lunch, as he usually did, and he said "I want to ask you out, but I have to ask my friend [the friend referenced above] if it's okay, but if I were to ask you, do you think you would say yes?" I still tease him about that. Way to sweep me off my feet. I want to ask you out, but I am not doing so right now, but I want to get some encouragement for when I do. Anyway, I sort of stuttered that I would say yes, but internally I was slightly concerned because of this other guy. Either way, I wasn't allowed to date for another few weeks, so I didn't worry too much about it. However, he has always been a champion of follow up, and a few days later while walking me to class he asked me to go to the homecoming dance with him, which was on October 6, 2 weeks after my 16th birthday. I said that I would, and he said "Okay, great. Well, I am not going to walk you the rest of the way to class because otherwise we would be awkwardly silent, so I'll see you later." We still laugh about this too. We were winning conversationalists in high school.

On my sixteenth birthday, Greg approached me before school and gave me the hugest bouquet of pink roses I had ever seen in my life. I was totally mortified carrying them around for the rest of the day. People came up to me and said things like "Oh, did Greg Ashcraft give those to you? I thought he was going to propose to random girls in the quad." So that gives you a little bit of an idea of what a goon he was in high school (albeit a sweet, darling, lovable goon).

A couple weeks went by and he took me out on my first date. We went to a restaurant in Temecula on a double date with a couple friends, and then headed over to the dance (in Greg's iconic PT Cruiser. Half of my high school memories involve that car, which I used to make fun of so much. But I missed it when he sold it before his mission!) During the dance, (I still remember it was while they were announcing the homecoming court) he held my hand, and I don't think let go of it for the rest of the night (we couldn't clap for the court because we were holding hands. Although I just remembered that he did let go to clap for one guy because they were friends. Ha! Funny the things you remember years later...) Later in the night he asked me to "go steady with him." I took issue over this for a number of reasons, one being that it was 2001 and no one had used the phrase "go steady" in like 40 years. Also, because it was my first date and I thought I would play the field a little. However, I didn't want to be mean, so I tried to blame it on my parents and say that I wasn't allowed to have a boyfriend (which was basically true) but that I did like him and wanted to go on dates with him (also true). He said that I didn't have to answer right then (I thought I had already answered...?) so I hoped that maybe we just wouldn't have to bring it up again.

And we didn't.

And so we got married five years later.


Okay, it didn't happen quite like that. But after that first date, we were just sort of inseparable for several years (one bout of "break up" the summer before I was a senior that lasted about 6 months while he re-focused on preparing for a mission, but ended when I went on a date with this other guy and Greg decided he didn't like that too much. That is, the break up ended, but don't worry, the mission prep did not.) We didn't really define the relationship for a while there at the beginning, probably because Greg figured out that if he insisted on being my boyfriend I might not, but as long as he didn't bring it up, he basically was. I still remember this conversation I had with my best friend. She said "are you seeing each other, going out, dating, boyfriend and girlfriend, or...?" I had no idea. At some point though, we were together enough that he was my boyfriend. (My parents weren't thrilled with the idea of a boyfriend, but they did like Greg. And my brothers adored him because my parents mandated that we weren't allowed to go places by ourselves until I turned 18, so one of them would have to "chaperone" us all the time and he ended up getting hooked up with countless movies, ice cream cones, and fast food.) Greg was in a band in high school, and I was an official groupie. Some songs he wrote for me still exist to this day on amateur recordings they made! (Including one mean one from aforementioned break up - but we don't need to bring that one up.) Eventually Greg went on his mission, and I waited (and dated, for the record; I don't condone waiting at home for two years while a missionary serves). When he got home, I was headed up to college, and I told him that I was going to date and all of that when I got there, unless he had something to say about it. We decided to get married instead. I remember he got home on a Wednesday, we decided we were getting married on Saturday (and I think we picked out the ring that day too...we are very task-oriented), he asked for my "hand" from my dad on Monday, and my mother woke me up at 6:00am on Tuesday morning with the temple on the phone scheduling the wedding. (I am fairly certain my mom had the wedding planned in about 48 hours.) The next day, Wednesday, I shipped out to BYU for the semester, and we barely made it through, but we managed (I don't think my roommates were thrilled with my love sickness though). We got married December 30, 2005.

Life isn't perfect and I think I probably drive Greg crazy most days (he only drives me crazy some days, but he is much easier to live with than I am) but I am happy to say that after 4 years of marriage and many more years of togetherness, I am still just as sure about Greg as I ever was. He really is my best friend and I am so glad that I married him. I think we have the best family ever, with us, and Charlie, and baby-to-be-named-later, and our annoying little cat. Happy anniversary to my wonderful husband, thanks for marrying me, and thanks also for our wonderful family, and all you do for us.

10 comments:

Stacy said...

CUUUUTE!!!! it seems like you guys have been married for forever. lucky me that i have a GREAT sister who married a GREAT guy to give me a GREAT brother-in-law who produced one and a half GREAT kids!!!!!!

Amanda said...

Aw, you guys are too cute. Did you get him a cow in another country as a gift? (http://seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com/2009/12/wth.html)

ferntyler said...

that's such a sweet story - I like all the little info things that you add in (like that you don't condone people sitting around waiting for a missionary - informative and important to the story :)).. thanks for sharing

The Bradley's said...

happy anniversary! You guys are too cute.

Bryn said...

Love your story, so sweet! Happy anniversary!

Kim W said...

So awesome that you two are together! Great "high school romance" story! Congrats!

Kirsten said...

Such a fun story! Its so cute all the little "details" that you remember after all this time. Oh, and I love your wedding pictures. You looked like a pretty, pretty princess.

Troy & Allison said...

SO CUTE!! You two crack me up...who knew back in the day, right?! I think Greg should grow out his hair like it was back then! ;)

jessica said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Stacy said...

FOOOOOUR SCOOOORE AND SEVEN YEARS AGOOOOO!!!