Friday, December 18, 2009

Book Survey

Tagged by Kiersten!

1. What is one of your favorite genres
? Adolescent girl books. Does that count? =)

2. What is your least favorite genre? Textbooks.

3. What is your all-time favorite book? High Fidelity.

4. What is the first book you remember reading? Bearenstein Bears?

5. Do you prefer books or audio books? Books.

6. Who are your favorite authors? Hornby. Dickens. Austen. Meg Cabot. CS Lewis. Lots.

7. How many books do you read in a year? Plenty when I'm not pregnant.

8. Do you buy books or borrow them from the library? I have a book buying problem.

9. How many books do you own? We have 4 bookcases (two small and two big. So maybe that counts as 3.) A LOT.

10. What is your most prized book? I have this children's book called Alphabears that my great aunt gave me the day I was born. A lot of my books from my childhood seem irreplaceable because they have inscriptions from my grandparents or whatever.

11. What are the worst books you have ever read (or tried to read)? Dang, I'm not sure I can think of one. I might be a philistine, but John Steinback makes me crazy. Does that count? But I can't call it the worst book because I recognize that he is an excellent author.

12. Have you read any modern day sequels you liked? Kiersten, I think this is referring to all those authors who take characters from classics and write sequels. There are like thirty million sequels to Pride and Prejudice, for example. I have read a few and haven't loved them. They were okay. I sort of want to read the zombie Austen books though. Don't they look funny?

13. What is your favorite quote from a book? There is a long exchange in High Fidelity that is absolutely my favorite part of a book ever, but it is too long. It talks about the reality vs. the fantasy of being in a relationship. There is an interlude about lingerie, for example. Ask me about it and I will tell you because I love it.

14. Who is your all-time favorite male character? Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities. Everytime I was allowed to write a paper on anyone I did Sydney, the love of my life.

15. Who is your all-time favorite female character? Hmm... possibly... Emma? I don't know. Elizabeth Bennet is too obvious. I love Princess Mia from the Princess Diaries but I don't know if I can go all time best with her. Can't think of one. OH MISS HONEY from Matilda maybe?

16. What highly recommended book have you not liked? Grapes of Wrath. I know, again with the Steinback hating. I didn't like Harry Potter for a while, but I gave him a second chance and then loved. I didn't love Freakanomics as much as everyone else did, but I liked it. Oh, and I resisted the Twilight books for a while, but that doesn't count, because once I read them I loved them, and also because it was before they were like the most loved books of all time or whatever they are now, so they were highly recommended but not by EVERYONE just by one person.

17. A character you love to hate? Maybe Madame Defarge from Tale of Two Cities?

18. Do you belong to a book club? Theoretically there is one at church. I only attend occasionally.

19. What was the last book you purchased? Can't say due to it being a Christmas present. Oh, wait, Charlie doesn't read the blog. I got him three books about having a new baby for Christmas. One was Bearenstein Bears, one was Mercer Meyer, and one was Arthur. I forget all the titles though.

20. What are you reading now? Heat Wave by Richard Castle (who is a fictional character from a TV show, so it is really by some ghost writer, but whatever). (Also, since I started this quiz on Friday and finished that book last night, Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby.)

21. What book made you cry the hardest? Where the Red Fern Grows perhaps. I don't usually cry in books but I did in that one as a kid. I have cried since then but I forget the books.

22. What book made you laugh the most? Most recently, one of those books by Jen Lancaster. Maybe a David Sedaris book.

23. What is your favorite children's book (one you would choose to read to your kids)? MILLIONS!!!! I am obsessed with children's books. But some of the favs to read Charlie are the pidgeon books by Mo Willems, Audrey and Don Woods books (The Napping House especially), and Dr. Suess. When you are getting a little older I would definitely say Roald Dahl and the Anne of Green Gables Books.

24. If you were to choose a book to give as a gift, what would it be? I give the book High Fidelity as a gift a lot.

25. List 5 books you have read more than once: Pride and Prejudice, Tale of Two Cities, High Fidelity, Anne of Green Gables (1-7), and Danny the Champion of the world.

26. What is your favorite book made into a movie? I actually love movie adaptations. I think that makes me less intelligent, but it is true. But you know what movies I really love? The Harry Potter ones. I know, THAT makes me less of a fan. But Alan Rickman as Snape....It's love. Oh, and I love the Princess Bride, both book and movie.

27. Did you like the book or movie better? I like the books better, of course.

28. What book would you like to see made into a movie? Grrrr I cannot think of a good one to put here! As I said though, I really do love movie adaptations (even the ones that aren't true to the book, I don't have a problem compartmentalizing liking the book in one way and the movie in another way) so I figure I would like to see any book made into a movie! Oh, but sometimes I lament that they haven't done Danny the Champion of the World into a movie yet. What are they waiting for?

29. Do you prefer hardcover or softcopy? Since I have an obsession with my books looking good, hardcover. I barely open my soft cover books so that the binding remains pristine. Greg and I cannot share books for this reason.

30. Do you leave the dustcover on while you are reading a book? Not usually, unless I am solely reading the book in my bed at night. I like to leave the covers on because I use the flaps as bookmarks, but they usually fall off in the end.

31. Where do you usually read? Usually in my bed before I go to sleep.

32. When do you usually read? The hour between 9pm (Charlie going to bed) and 10pm (my bedtime). Occasionally until 1, 2, 3, or 4 in the morning though.

33. Do you keep a TBR (to-be-read) list? I am so happy with my discovery of goodreads! But I also love to just get whatever books are discounted at Target for Target's book club, so a lot of books I plan on reading get pushed to the bottom of the list with other books being in my hot little hands.

34. Do you usually have more than one book that you are reading at a time? Often.

35. Do you remember how you developed a love for reading? My dad read to us every single night as kids. I am pretty sure it stems from there.

36. Who do you tag? Stacy, Kirsten, Megan, Tera...... any of my friends who love to read!

4 comments:

Kim W said...

You know, I feel smarter just reading this survey. I am soooo looking forward to reading a good book over the holiday. I am going to go though your survey to pick on. A lot on there I hadn't ever heard of. I love your brain and how you think! :)

Bryn said...

I love Alan Rickman as Snape, too. He also was in a BBC adaptation of a JAne Austen book, the name escapes me at the moment, Emma? Sense and Sensibilitity. Yes I think Sense and Sensibility, and he was blonde (very not Snape-like, I still liked him. He's great! I love HP. Good survey. I love your answers, will have to read High Fidelity.

Stacy said...

sometimes i forget your love for sydney carton. then i remember and chuckle about how it is unhealthy.

Kiersten said...

Ha ha, philistine. You are not. I love Sydney Carton, too. And thanks for explaining about the modern-day sequels--the tag was kind of long and I just did not want to take the time to try and figure out what the heck that meant. I actually brought home Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters from the library a while ago but didn't get the chance to read it.