Saturday, January 24, 2009

Grant me patience...

Charlie isn't holding still for one minute lately. He recently discovered that the place he wants to be is in the fireplace. And we don't ever use it or anything, but it is so dirty, and then he puts his hands in his mouth (makes him look like he has a goatee) so I went with the ol' chair in front of the fireplace tactic to deter him. It took him approximately six seconds to figure out how to move that chair. A month or so ago we got a gate for our kitchen door because we keep the cat food and litter in there and I didn't want him to get into it. It has since become a favorite spot to practice standing. It makes noise when you rattle it, so it is also an ideal place to whine at whoever is in the kitchen while shaking the door. Makes quite the ruckus. Today, I found this:
Which is Charlie at the gate, but IN the kitchen. Going through the pantry, actually. Don't know how that happened.
A final little funny note: We got him this fun walking toy, but he is pretty happy with the whole crawling thing, and not interested in learning new tricks.
He still likes his toy though, so he crawls around while pushing it. I know all the other mothers are saying "WAIT you DON'T want him to walk!!" but I think I really do. I am sure once I join you as the seasoned mothers of walking children, I will look back on the crawling days with nostalgia, but in the meantime, the child is super heavy and I can't carry him around much longer. It feels like. I thought the same thing when he was like 23 pounds, and I have managed to the 28 mark, so I guess I will manage until he is ready to walk. (By the way, along with his new found desire to GO, GO, GO, he won't look at mommy when I tell him to anymore, so that is why the photographs are suffering lately.)
Thursday, we went to visit Uncle Spencer at Jamba Juice. I was talking to Spencer and I looked down, and Charlie had managed to crawl out of his stroller (via the foot holes) and was on the floor crawling away. It was pretty funny, and it was hard not to laugh as I was sternly telling him that it was naughty. Immediately upon being returned to the stroller, he did it again. He was therefore strapped in for the rest of the ride, which angered him, but whatever. I let him get out that way when we got home, since it was so funny. He is too young to send a mixed message to, right?
In other news, he is cutting tooth number 5. Teething is enough to make you wonder why you became a parent. No, just kidding. He is still (basically) as sweet as ever.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Isn't that thoughtful of him to make sure you don't get bored? What a cute guy!

jessica said...

I find baby proof things are rarely baby proof. We had one of those door nob bobbles for Hudson. He had it opened in about 20 second after it was on, it only took him 40 after we chopped off the rubber grips(adults couldn't figure out how to get out the door). Finally, we had to turn the door knob backwards to lock him in our out of rooms. Then one night he is out, in which we find he had taken a butter knife to bed because it would unlock the door. I wish you best in your endeavors. At least you know you have a smart kid!

Ashcraft Family said...

Haha, Hudson is really on top of those things!! I like him being smart, but I wouldn't mind him being still too. But I wouldn't trade him for the world. (Usually)

Stacy Lawrence said...

not to discourage you or anything, but i still haven't pulled out of the 'ignore mom' phase.....