Charlie is rewriting the book The No Cry Sleep Solution (a book I haven't read and can't vouch for its value. I did love Happiest Baby on the Block, but that is more a soothing book than a sleeping through the night; it did have good tips. I didn't like Babywise, but lots of people do, so if you are looking for a book, you might try it out.). He cries and doesn't sleep. Here are the things I have tried.
1) Ignoring. The child just keeps crying. It doesn't help.
2) Nursing. Last night, he just kept crying. He wouldn't latch on.
3) Marching about. We walked for miles last night.
4) Putting him on a schedule. I read one book that insisted that setting a schedule for the baby in the daytime will lead to his sleeping through the nighttime. Schedules I have done. Failed.
5) Swaddling. While this was useful in the first couple of months of his life, he now busts out of the blanket like the incredible hulk. Child straight jackets, anyone?
We have settled on
6) Charlie cries all night and mommy starts crying at about 3:00am until she has to wake up at 6:30am three mornings a week to go to work. Daddy is very helpful, but even when he is holding him, no one is sleeping.
Discouragement is setting in.
Charlie is still the cutest baby ever, and very happy during the day, so hopefully everyone still loves him. Mommy and Daddy definitely do, proving again that there are things you do happily in parenthood that you wouldn't dream of before. Like cutting sleeping down to 3 or 4 hours at a time.
3 weeks ago