Sunday, February 24, 2008

Charlie is here!

Our little one is here! He was born on February 23rd at 4:41am. Eight pounds and fifteen ounces!! For the record, I had a doctors appointment on Feb. 22nd and the doctor felt around and said "He feels like he will be about seven and a half pounds." Yeah right, lady. He is twenty one inches long and has lots of hair. It is actually pretty light, with lots of blondish in it. We came home from the hospital today. Kaiser is implementing a new computer system, so it took them almost four hours to fill out all the stuff to discharge us, but it happened in the end, and home we are.
I went into labor at about 10:30am on Friday, but it was wimpy labor, so I stayed at work until about one thirty, when Greg came and got me. We went home and packed the bags and got to the hospital at about three. That morning at my appointment (at nine) I was dialated just one centimeter, and at three I was up to three centimeters. It wasn't enough to admit me, so they asked me to go walk around the hospital for two hours. I was able to walk around for about one hour, and then I went back in. Dialated to four, but having constant contractions, so they admitted me. Again with the new program, so I didn't get officially admitted until about six thirty. It then took them an hour to set up my IV, which was sort of annoying. My arms are covered in failed injection site-bruises. I always thought i had such good veins, but apparently not. Anyway, I got the epidural at about seven thirty and basically nothing happened until they broke my water at about eleven or eleven thirty. Then I got to ten centimeters by one in the morning. Started pushing at one forty or so. He delievered at 4:41am. I was pretty sure he was never going to come at the end. I started crying and said "I can't do it anymore, I just can't!" and the nurse said "are you going to cry or are you going to have your baby?!" So, I had the baby. Needed a little help at the end, but the episiotomy did the trick, and out he came. Extremely cone-headed, but still precious!
They tell you not to push with your face because then you get big bags under the eyes and sores and stuff, but it is sort of hard to avoid. Or was for me. But, it doesn't matter because the face pushing got the most beautiful baby ever out!
There aren't any pictures of Greg and Charlie yet because we didn't really take any at the hospital due to my skin being so sheet white, I looked like I was on the verge of death. These were taken by my dad after we got home, and Greg was taking an extremely well-deserved nap. He stayed awake and kept Charlie from crying during several naps today. We did not really sleep at all last night due to our roommate snoring extremely loudly all night, and her boyfriend talking to their new baby loudly in Spanish all night. There are a lot more fun little anecdotes, but I am going to go lay down some more, so I just wanted to get some pictures out there. We are so happy and excited for our little baby!

9 comments:

Austin and Jennifer Jensen said...

Congratulations Rachel and Greg! I am so happy for you both! He looks perfect and I am so happy that you all are doing so well.. (and I am glad you are out of the hospital so you can get a night of sleep with only one distraction : ) Congrats again from both of us!

Seth and Lacey said...

WOW! Congratulations!! He is beautiful! And I am totally not just saying that. Some people actually have ugly babie...but your is absolutely adorable! You are going to make the cutest mom! I am so happy for you two!

Megan Blood said...

He is so adorable! I'm glad everything went relatively well, and you're my hero for having such a big boy! If mine ends up being that big I think I'll just hope for a C section...

Kristin & Hayley said...

Congrats Rachel! You look amazing! How is that possible? Lucky. Can't say I looked that good after giving birth. Can't wait to meet the little guy.

Live, Laugh, Love said...

Congrats! He looks healthy and happy! I wish you both the best! Your gonna be great parents!

Mirjam said...

Congratulations, he looks just perfect!! Wish we could see him.....

J,G, E & A said...

Hi Greg and Rachel! Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys and am so glad to see you're doing well! What an adorable baby! Greg- tell your Mom "hi" from me. Bye!
Jackie

Kiersten said...

Hi! I finally found your blog. Congratulations on little Charlie! All of us nerds back here at BYU are extremely happy for you! I can't believe that you stayed at work after you had gone into labor! That's so funny to me for some reason! (Wow, lots of exclamation marks. Sorry about that.) Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate you and let you know that from now on I will be lurking around your blog.

Kiersten said...

P.S. You seem to meet the strangest people. Who tells an 8-month pregnant woman that she has fat ankles? And in church! Was it that same lady who tried to make you put a barrette in your hair as you were teaching RS? Did she follow you to California?